Saturday, August 13, 2011

Rainy Days and Fish Tacos


I was hoping that I would beat the odds and not get sick, even though everyone else in the household is. Sounds like a TB ward in here. However, that creepy sore throat feeling has been plaguing me for a couple days now. Be gone sickness!

My goal for this weekend is to make a big batch of Fish Tacos. Now I know what you're thinking. But they are so good. And when you make them at home, you can control how you make them. I got them from a Mexican restaurant called On the Border a couple times and then thought I would look up the nutritional content. I'm thinking "Fish is healthy! It's got vegetables, it has to be alright!" I was floored.

2,100 calories
130 g fat 169 g carbs
4,750 mg sodium

There is a way you can make them a little less destructive if you get them at the restaurant. Ask for grilled fish, choose the corn tortillas instead of flour (they're lower in calories and higher in fiber), and swap out the rice for grilled vegetables.


Here is my recipe. The grilled or baked fish is much better for you. I am also going to use some homemade Roasted Corn Black Bean Salsa on top :drooling: :

Fish Tacos

Your choice of crunchy or grilled fish fillets

Soft taco sized flour or corn tortillas

Bag of cole slaw mix or shredded cabbage

Pico de gallo, packaged or homemade

Lime

Sauce

1/2 cup Mayonnaise

1/2 cup Sour Cream

1 small jalapeno or other pepper, chopped

1 large avocado, chopped

Juice of one lime

Handful of fresh cilantro

1 clove fresh garlic, chopped

1-2 teaspoons taco seasoning or a mix of chili powder, cumin, cayenne & paprika, salt, pepper

Blend in food processor or blender. Optional: Chill for one hour.

Bake or grill fish. Heat Tortillas as directed.

Fill with fish and top with cabbage, pico de gallo and drizzle with sauce to taste.

Top with another squeeze of lime and enjoy!


Thunderstorms in the forecast for the next 3 days. Looks like more time in gym and less time outside. That's ok, I'm looking forward to hiking in the Fall and cooler weather. What is your favorite time of the year for outdoor activities?

Addition: A couple other healthy substitutions: You can use low-fat varieties and cut the mayo and sour cream in half and add half a cup of plain yogurt.

1 comment:

  1. Can I place an order for Fish Tacos? Sounds fantastic. Beat that illness ! Hope you feel better soon. Don't forget to get extra sleep. :-)

    ReplyDelete