Thursday, August 11, 2011

Attack of the Lactic Acid Fermentation


I guess it's a pretty sure sign I was doing something right as my muscles are still aching today. Part of my 30-day free trial at my new gym is several visits with a personal trainer. So when I got to the gym yesterday, I was nervous but ready to go. I have never worked with a trainer before, but a couple years ago my friend Stacey and I were regularly going to Hot Yoga. There was one instructor that was extremely "helpful". He was constantly coming over and bending and adjusting you. Yes, that is what you want when you are soaked with sweat, some perfectly toned yoga guy coming over and putting his hands on you. Neither Stacey or I were what you would call skinny, so when you have a fat thigh or a boob in the way, there is only so far you can bend. I always felt really self-conscious. So of course, I was worried about how this personal training session would go. But no worries, he didn't show up! I guess you get what you pay for right?

I ended up doing my own thing which ended up being about a 15 warm-up with stretching and 10 minutes on the treadmill, about 45 minutes doing the upper body, abs and back circuits (with the hip abductor machine thrown in for good measure) and 20 minutes on the Elliptical. I am fairly confident in my ability to do these basic things but I was looking forward to some direction in terms of routines and I would love to learn how to use the big scary machine the muscle guys use. I have another appointment with him tomorrow, so that is the plan. I will hopefully be going 4-5 times per week during this free trial month and then I can decide if I want to keep it up.

I am also trying to remember to take all my vitamins everyday and eat a probiotic dark chocolate bar. I like Attune. I will eat my dark chocolate if I HAVE to.

I have been drinking fabulous smoothies after my workouts and they are ridiculously easy and make you feel amazing. Here's a basic recipe (serves 2):

6 oz. dark berry juice(cranberry, pomegranate, etc)
6 oz. milk (regular, soy, almond)
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 banana (fresh or frozen, in chunks)
2 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
A couple ice cubes

Optional:
1-2 Tablespoons any Yogurt
1 Tablespoon Ground Flax Seeds

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment