Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Constancy of Change

So it's been a minute since I've posted a blog. I haven't been journaling either, other than a few cryptic  and random weight loss related scribbles. "1 Diet Coke a Day!" "Take a Vitamin!" "Yoga 3 times a week!" As if these brusque commands are going to transform my internal dialogue, which leaves a lot to be desired. For several months I was back on the weightloss/healthy living plan. Smoothies, diet, joined an angry gym.  Not like Crossfit angry but one that certainly didn't have the calm, soothing "Take a Child's pose anytime" attitude of yoga. I was feeling stronger, much more svelte and discovered muscles I didn't know I had. But then true to form, the holidays came and I was in a vortex of making, baking and eating NOT the good, reasonable food but decadent everything and empty calories. The whole creating a habit premise is unreliable at best.

So here we are on January 4th and I am trying to practice the self-acceptance and self-love I have learned from doing a ton of yoga this year. Like every week, at 4 different studios. I can now do a perfectly passable chaturanga vinyasa. I do feel better when I practice and I love so many of the elements of yoga. Several different yoga instructors I take classes with know my name. I went to a Yoga/Mindfulness Triathlon this year! And tonight, when I desperately wanted to stay home and play Lego Harry Potter instead, I went to class and did not get an El Diablo burrito or Checker's fries on my way home.

I am making 2017 my year of balance in all things. Be as active as possible but at my pace and level, knowing when I can and owe it to myself to push harder. Make good, healthy food choices and learn new ways to prepare those foods at home. Try new things, go new places, do my best in work and in life. But also, sometimes, do none of that. Stay home under the covers watching HGTV, order mozzarella sticks and grilled cheese, say no to plans and commitments that stress me out. Save money but spend it on the right things that improve our home or bring us joy. I think these are reasonable resolutions. Happy 2017. Namaste ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment